The Leckie Building was originally constructed as a boot and shoe factory in Gastown in 1908. It was seismically upgraded as part of a general refurbishment in 1991. The heavy timber construction is a key feature of the building with old growth beams and masonry walls. The fire protection programme was presented and accepted by the City of Vancouver. The strategy enabled the heavy timber structure to remain exposed highlighting a key feature of buildings of that period.